• Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Check Status

Call Us: 1-888-634-8316 (Toll Free)

Non Profit Corporation FAQs

How to Form a 501(c)(3) Non Profit Corporation

Forming a nonprofit corporation is much like creating a regular corporation, except that nonprofits have to take the extra steps of applying for tax-exempt status with the IRS and their state tax division. Here is what you need to do:

1) Choose an available business name that meets the requirements of state law.

2) File formal paperwork, usually called articles of incorporation, and pay a small filing fee (typically under $100).

3) Apply for your federal and state tax exemptions.

4) Create corporate bylaws, which set out the operating rules for your nonprofit corporation.

5) Appoint the initial directors. (In some states you must choose your initial directors before you file your articles, because you must list their names in the document.)

6) Hold the first meeting of the board of directors.

7) Obtain licenses and permits that may be required for your corporation.

Is this helpful? Rate It
« Previous | Next »

Get Started

Related Questions

Rush Filing - Live Chat

Monday to Friday

9:00 to 5:00 pst

Chat Guy