Seller Permit



Free Shipping

Get Started

Seller Permit Overview:

If you are in the business of selling, leasing personal tangible property (for example, selling from home, a storefront or online) or sell taxable services at a retail or wholesale level, you are required to obtain a Seller's Permit, also referred to as a Sales & Use Tax Permit, Retail License, Sales Tax account, or Resale License; the names vary by state, don't let the varying names confuse you. In addition, if you are a seller at more than one location, a separate resale license or seller's permit is required for each location.

A seller’s permit, resale license, or sales & use account, allows you to collect sales tax from customers and report those amounts to the state on a regular reporting period (either monthly, quarterly, or annual). Sales tax is added to the price of the taxable goods or service and collected from the purchaser at the time of sale. The seller's permit will also allow the merchant to purchase products or supplies wholesale. The merchant will not pay tax on products purchased for resell when a resale certificate is supplied.

RushFiling, Inc. is one of the only national legal service companies that files the sales tax permit registration with the governing agency. The majority of our competitors only offer prepared registration documents accompanied by instructions while we actually prepare and file the necessary paperwork. We understand the obstacles that can arise during business licensing. It can be unfamiliar territory for many people and RushFiling, Inc. is here to help. We want the seller's licensing process to be simple, fast and hassle free for our clients.

RushFiling, Inc. will prepare, review and file your seller's permit registration with the appropriate government agency. We have several expedite options allowing you to have a copy of your seller's permit ASAP; filing times and options vary by state but you can rest assured is the most expedient route.

get started

Seller Permit - How it works:

You won’t have to read any confusing instructions, & there’s nothing to print out or any documentation to put together on your end. RushFiling eliminates the hassle of obtaining your seller's permit, resale license or sales account with just 3 Easy Steps...

Start by filling out a precise online questionnaire developed for RushFiling by our staff of legal advisors for your seller's permit registration. Part of the RushFiling guarantee is that our professionals handle every order personally and that your data remains confidential. Our online questionnaire is free, safe & secure! You can save your work & return to it at any time. You may also call us toll free at 1-888-634-8316.
As soon as we receive your completed questionnaire, the experts at RushFiling perform a thorough review of your information—including a check for accuracy and to make sure that nothing has been overlooked. We will then prepare the requisite forms, obtain a signature if needed, and file them with the appropriate government agency.
Once we receive your assigned seller's permit or sales account number, your RushFiling specialist will send you a confirmation email containing your active permit in select states. In some states, the governing agency will ship the permit directly to your designated address upon completion of processing. Feel to contact us with any questions regarding current processing times in any of the 46 states that collect sales tax. Remember to file a couple of weeks before the projected date of operation. 

get started

Seller Permit Package Prices:

Select State :    

Seller Permit $44.95
Expedited Processing $19.95
Free Credit Card Machine Free
Total Including State Fee :

Filing a Seller Permit is important step in maintaining the integrity of your business. Your State does not approve of non-reported taxable sales. Don't miss out on this opportunity to complete this important step towards your business' success.

  • Easy! Make only one online visit or call to our online document processing center — we do the rest.
  • Affordable! Much less than attorney’s fees and competitive in the online market.
  • Fast! We start processing your order within 24 hours or less!
  • Personal! We take pride in the services we offer!

Get your Seller's Permit today...

get started

  Seller Permit FAQs

Do I need more than one Seller's Permit?

Each seller must have a tax permit for each active place of business. A place of business is an established outlet, office, or location that the seller, or the seller's agent, or employee operates for the purpose of receipt of orders for taxable items. If you have multiple places of business you will receive separate permits for each business location displaying the same taxpayer identification number, but with separate outlet or sequence numbers. Once a sales tax account has been established with the state, additional permits will be added to the same account unless there has been a change in ownership structure.

Can I use the sales tax permit number from my old business or from an existing business that I purchased?

No. A permit is valid only for the person to whom it was issued and only for the business at the address shown on the permit. It can be transferred from one owner to another but the new owner must be registered and approved by the governing agency before the permit is valid.

If the ownership of my business changes, is a new permit needed?

Yes. The new owner must obtain a permit if there are any changes in ownership of your business. Incorporating a business or forming a partnership or limited liability company is considered a change of ownership and must be reported. For example, if you operate a business as a sole proprietor, but decide to incorporate, the corporation will have to obtain a new permit for the business, even though you may operate the business as an officer of the corporation.

Is a seller's permit the same as a business license?

No. You should contact your city and/or county business license department to obtain a separate business license. To locate the department, check the government pages of your telephone directory (for example, look for the terms license or business license under City Government Offices and County Government Offices).

What is a Resale Certificate?

Generally, a Resale Certificate is a form a business uses when it purchases goods it intends to resell. This Resale Certificate, also referred to as an Exemption Certificate in some states, serves as a written statement that the business owners and operators won't use the goods purchased for personal use instead of selling them. It is also intended to show that the business will not use the goods before reselling them. It may also be used when purchasing certain services for resale. With your sellers permit, if you purchase tangible personal property for resale, the transaction is not subject to sales or use tax provided the sale is properly documented. As a result, your supplier will ask you to provide a Resale Certificate as proof that the property was purchased for resale.

Why is a seller's permit needed?

If you are in the business of selling, leasing personal tangible property ( for example, selling from home ebay merchandise online) or sell taxable services at a retail or wholesale level, you are required to obtain a Seller's Permit. In addition, if you are a seller at more than one location, a separate license is required for each location. We will prepare and review and file your seller's license application

When should I apply for a seller's permit?

Apply for a seller's permit at least three weeks before you open your business. You must allow for processing times in some states. Plan ahead and make sure your permits are in order before your operation commences.

What is the difference between sales tax and use tax?

A sales tax is imposed on retailers. It applies to all retail sales of tangible personal property in the state of operation. Retailers making sales in the State are required to remit the sales tax to the governing tax agency. Retailers are required to pay and report sales taxes to the governing tax agency and they have the option of collecting sales tax reimbursement from their customers. Almost all retailers utilize this option. Whether or not a retailer collects the sales tax, the retailer is liable to remit the tax due. The California use tax is imposed on consumers of tangible personal property that is used, consumed, or stored in this state. Use tax applies to purchases from out-of-state vendors that are not required to collect tax on their sales. Use tax also applies to most leases of tangible personal property. Many construction contractors will apply for use tax as their purchases are for their use or consumption, not resale. The state sales tax and use tax are "mutually exclusive," which means either sales tax or use tax applies to a single transaction, but not both.