When am I required to change an FEIN?
If you already have an FEIN, and the organization or ownership of your business changes, you may need to apply for a new number. Here are some circumstances under which a new FEIN is required:
1. An existing business is purchased or inherited by an individual who will operate it as a sole proprietorship.
2. A sole proprietorship changes to a corporation or a partnership.
3. A partnership changes to a corporation or a sole proprietorship;
4. A corporation changes to a partnership or a sole proprietorship.
5. An individual owner dies, and the estate takes over the business.